Or if it isn’t, it certainly should be!
There is something about the summertime that gives us permission to worry less and forget about the “rules.” It’s the time to go barefoot, live in shorts and spend time by the ocean. Or pond. Or lake. For me, it’s the time of year to not think about “what’s for dinner.” We have nine months of the year to plan meals or pack school lunches. Summer means opening the fridge and hoping for the best (assuming we hit the grocery store at some point) and relaxing about mealtime. And the fewer the ingredients the better so here are some salad ideas that only take three – yes THREE – ingredients and about 15 seconds to make. Top with your favorite dressing. Tah-dah! Eat alone for lunch or top with pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, a can of tuna or even steak from last night’s meal. Whatever you do, don’t waste your summer in the kitchen worrying about what to eat! Go outside and enjoy the season!
Are you ready? It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Julienned kale, slivered almonds and sliced strawberries
- Can of corn, can of black beans and quartered grape tomatoes
- Arugula, white beans and fennel slices
- Watermelon chunks, basil and feta
- Avocado slices, tomato slices and crumbled blue cheese
- Beet slices, chopped pecans and goat cheese
- Chick peas, cucumber chunks and red onion diced
- Romaine hearts, shaved parmasean, sliced heirloom tomatoes
- Cabbage thinly sliced, yellow pepper strips, thin carrot slices
- Bibb lettuce, tomato wedges, crumbled bacon