Once we light the grill at the start of the season, we never really want to turn it off. This grilled eggplant, shallot vinaigrette, and feta combo makes a perfect summer meal or, single serving appetizer. The bright mint and earthy cilantro bring the flavors all together. Print out copies of the recipe ahead of time, people are going to ask for it.
Skills: Slicing, grilling, chopping
Grilled Eggplant, Shallot Vinaigrette, Feta & Herbs
- 1 large globe eggplant (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil; more as needed
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Shallot Vinaigrette
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-high.
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil.
- Grill (covered on a gas grill) until golden-brown grill marks form, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the eggplant over and grill until tender, another 3 to 4 minutes.
- The interior should be grayish and soft.
- Remove from grill.
- Place 1 or 2 eggplant slices on each plate.
- Whisk shallot vinaigrette and drizzle over eggplant.
- Top with feta, and herbs.
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics