This may be the most beautiful salad you ever make, Bright, colorful spiral ribbons of fresh raw vegetables are impossible to resist. You can pair this with a variety of dressings but we especially like a Spicy Peanut Dressing. By using Tamari it’s gluten-free dish. If soy’s not a worry, regular soy sauce is perfect.
Rainbow Ribbon Summer Squash Salad
- 1 small zucchini (green summer squash)
- 1 small yellow summer squash
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips
- cilantro, chopped to garnish
- Slice both summer squash in half crosswise
- Use a spiralizer to make ribbons of squash. Trim long ribbons in half for easier eating.
- Add all ingredients to salad bowl and toss well to mix
- Top with cilantro.
- Serve in small salad bowls.
- Add dressing at the table.
Spicy Peanut Dressing
- 1/2 cup smooth or chunky peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy (tamari works great too)
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons dark sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili oil (optional though not for us!)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Put peanut butter in a large bowl and microwave for about 15 seconds to soften.
- Remove from microwave. Careful the bowl may be hot.
- Add say, water ginger, garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, scallions, and chili oil.
- Stir until well combined.
Dress salad just before eating, Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics