Here’s our standard recipe for no-fail hummus that’s light and flavorful. You can, if you’re inclined, remove the skins from your chickpeas for a smoother textured hummus, but not having the time to do that should NOT make you skip making your own. Leave the skins on if you must.
Serve this on a platter at a party or in a bowl for Sunday afternoon snacking. It goes perfectly with or Homemade Crunch Pita Chips or your favorite finger-food vegetables. Or spread on sandwiches for a tasty flavor boost.
- 1/3 cup tahini
- juice of 1.5 lemons (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed. (or 1.5 C dried chickpeas soaked overnight in water and then boiled in pot on stove until soft.)
- 3 garlic cloves, roasted (see note)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Set aside 1 tablespoon chickpeas for garnish.
- Put lemon juice and tahini into food processor. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Put remaining chickpeas, oil, water, salt and cumin in food processor.
- Pulse to blend until well incorporated.
- Add more lemon juice or salt to taste.
- Tansfer to serving dish and garnish with the tablespoon of whole chickpeas.
- Top with a drizzle of olive oil and paprika in the center
Note: No roasted Garlic on hand? Do this: Preheat broiler. Bake garlic under broiler for about 10 minutes brown all over and soft. Let cool. Peel.
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics