This is a hearty sandwich that “eggplant haters” love. Seriously. We’ve served this to people who swear they don’t like eggplant. And voila! It’s their new favorite sandwich.
It’s easily grilled, or sautéed in one pan and puts a little gourmet in a effortless meatless supper. It eats more like a burger than the fabulous collection of vegetables it is. Serve it to your eggplant skeptics and let us know how they like it!
Skills: Slicing, Sautéing,
Eggplant & Veggie Sandwich
- 1 small eggplant
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 red onion, sliced
- roasted red peppers (jar is fine or make your own)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh mozzarella (optional)
- 4 tablespoons pesto
- 4 ciabatta rolls (or your favorite bread)
- Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- Slice (or spiralize!) zucchini.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Add eggplant slices and onion to pan and sauté, turning occasionally.
- Add zucchini to pan.
- Continue cooking all vegetables until eggplant is browned on both sides and onions are caramelized.
- Remove eggplant slices from pan and place one on each bottom half of roll.
- Top each with zucchini, onions, roasted peppers.
- Add cheese (if using) and a tablespoon of pesto.
- Cover with top of roll.
Serves 4. Dig in!
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics