My husband Jack’s known for many things: for being dependably late, for hiking and camping his way through the world, and come May & June, for making this pie with rhubarb from our garden. It’s his signature dish.
PS. When Jack shares the recipe—which he rarely does so don’t tell him we did—he lists vanilla ice cream as an ingredient. But he does that with ALL pies, we’re onto him.
Be sure to double this recipe and make two pies—one to freeze or generously gift to someone deserving. Think of it as making hay while the sun shines, or making pie while the rhubarb grows, and the flour flies.
- 2+ cups strawberries, sliced
- 2+ cups rhubarb chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- let stand 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon orange rind (optional – but so good!)
- In a large bowl combine strawberries, rhubarb, cornstarch, water, 1 cup sugar.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Add flour, orange rind, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Mix well.
- Pour into prepared pie crust, adding a lattice crust to top.
- Sprinkle with sugar (optional).
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes then turn the oven heat down to 350 and bake 35 (or so) minutes till done.
Share the Yum.
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics