But today’s still pretty balmy, comparatively speaking so we just might use some of magenta beauties to make our favorite spinach beet salad and enjoy it on the deck.
You don’t have to get fancy with the beets like we did, simply sliced beets are just as tasty and good for you. But bookmark this to serve on Valentine’s Day or Wedding Luncheon—the happy little hearts never fail to bring smiles to the lips of those about to eat them.
And there’s usually at least one joker who comments about eating their heart out. Just nod and keep chewing.
- 4 medium beets – roasted
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (pan toasted!)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Mixed baby salad greens or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Roast the beets: Trim greens. Lightly coat each beet with olive oil, wrap individually in aluminum foil and roast in 375° f oven for about 45 minutes. Let cool. Use a vegetable peeler to remove outer skin. It should slide right off.
- While the beets are cooking, place the walnuts in a heavy bottom pan on medium-low heat. Heat until warm and beginning to toast. Add the maple syrup. Stir and cook until evenly coated, then remove from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Cut cooled beets into 1⁄4 in slices – you want hearts (or other shapes) use small cookie cutter to cut hearts out of slices. We used various sized cutters. Chop any remaining beet flesh into small cubes.
- For dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Place a large serving of baby greens onto each of four salad plates, sprinkle candied walnuts equally over the greens. Place equal amounts of beets over the greens, and sprinkle with goat cheese. Drizzle each plate with dressing.
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics