As easy-going as my husband is about food, there are still times when I don’t want it to be obvious that I am serving him hors d’oeuvres for supper yet again. (Is anyone else reminded of the Cher movie Mermaids?)
But by assembling all the ingredients of guacamole, including the tortilla, into a pizza I look like a kitchen wizard and he feels like he’s been “made dinner.” Like all Tortilla Toss Pizzas this goes together in 2 minutes and disappears from our plates just as quickly.
An added bonus is that in hot steamy weather that we happen to be “enjoying” right now you can toast these on the grill and not even turn the oven on – keeping the kitchen that much cooler.
Skills: cutting, slicing, baking or grilling
Ingredients (for a single pizza):
- 1 small whole wheat tortilla
- olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, sliced, cubed or mashed
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- tablespoons goat cheese
- 6-8 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- sprinkle of ground cumin
- splash of lime juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- shredded Monterey Jack or Mozzarella
- Rub a little olive oil on tortilla.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Add onion slices.
- Add avocado.
- Add tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with cumin (to taste.)
- Splash with a little lime juice.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Top with Mozzarella,
- Bake in 400° oven or on a closed medium-hot grill for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Remove from heat, let sit a minute, then cut in half or quarters
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics