Rhubarb is aplenty right now, and we’ve already posted our favorite pie recipe but we thought we might shake things up a little! Tonight we made the sweet Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas.
Since we don’t (yet?) have a resident mixologist here at Garden Candy, we must rely on the brilliance of strangers to concoct delicious vegetable-based libations for Friday night cocktail hour. Luckily for us, others come through. Here are a few recipes for you to try when you’re tired of the same old pie and want to drink your veggies!
These caught our fancy:
- Rhubarb Syrup, recipe follows
- 2 cups white tequila
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup triple sec, such as Cointreau
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice2 tablespoons fresh ripped mint leaves
- Crushed ice, for the shaker
- 8 fresh strawberries, hulled and finely diced
- Rhubarb Syrup:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large stalks rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- Combine the Rhubarb Syrup, tequila, lime juice, triple sec, orange juice, mint leaves and some crushed ice in a shaker. Combine in batches, if necessary.
- Place the strawberries in the bottom of 4 margarita glasses. Strain the margaritas over the strawberries.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups water and the sugar in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Cook until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the rhubarb and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and steep for 1 hour.
- Drain the liquid into a small saucepan and cook over high heat until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the syrup to a bowl.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
More Rhubarb Cocktails worth investigating:
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics