Here’s a super quick cottage cheese dip with a little kick. This is one of two recipes we have from the late, great Dog Team Tavern which sadly burned to the ground in September 2006, leaving many local and tourist tummies heartbroken.
Besides huge portions, another part of what made the restaurant legendary was their celebrated 3′ tall rustic “relish wheel” which waitstaff rolled right up to your table. Offerings in the wheel included this dip, along with corn relish, beets, sauerkraut, and apple butter.
- 1 lb small-curd whole milk cottage cheese (not low-fat)
- 1/4 cup good-quality bottled horseradish (or 1/8 cup freshly grated horseradish root)
- 1 teaspoon dill weed, fresh if you have it but a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of dried will do
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients, cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Check the seasoning before serving, adding more cottage cheese or more horseradish if necessary, to suit your taste.
Serve with crudité, your favorite wavy potato chips, or any suitable dippables!
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics