This Avocado Pesto is a wonderful substitute for your favorite basil pesto recipes. Ditch the cheese and add avocados. In addition to being nutrient-dense, avocados can act as a “nutrient booster” by helping increase your body’s absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like Vitamins A, D, K and E found in other foods you eat.
Skills: Chopping, measuring, food processing,
Creamy Avocado Pesto
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 cups basil leaves, packed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Pasta of your choice
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking. Slice and peel avocados. (Need help slicing/peeling your avocados? See the video below.)
- Put the avocados, basil, garlic, pine nuts and lemon juice into a food processor.
- Begin processing the above ingredients while slowly adding the olive oil. Add enough oil to make the pesto as creamy as you like it—the consistency of thick cream sauce works great.
- Drain the cooked past and place in a serving dish.
- Spoon in as much avocado pesto as you need until the pasta is covered with pesto sauce. Enjoy!
We served our Avocado Pesto on gluten-free Rotini, but really any pasta would work well. Linguine, fettuccine or Bowties would be great choices too!
How to Cut and Slice Avocado
In this recipes presentation is not important since avocados will be blended but this video gives you great ways to cut, peel and slice them.
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics