Don’t let the length of this recipe prevent you from making these delicious roll ups. The process is harder to describe than it is to carry out. Really, read though it and you’ll see. You’ll have a tray of these in the oven in no time. And you’ll be glad! Very glad.
Prepare the squash in advance by roasting 1 large butternut squash, or 2 small/medium size. Here’s the easy method we used.
- 3½ cups cooked butternut squash, mashed
- 1 (15 oz) container Ricotta cheese (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1 10 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained with liquid pressed out
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 12-15 cooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup mashed butternut squash
- 3 shallots, diced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 sage leaves
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- salt & pepper to taste
Directions for preparing the filling and assembling the roll-ups:
- Preheat oven 350° F
- Cook lasagna noodles al dente
- While noodles are cooking, mix together 3 cups mashed butternut squash, ricotta, egg, ½ cup Parmesan, garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper.
- Mix in spinach.
- Fills the roll-ups by spreading one generous table or serving spoon of squash-cheese mixture onto a single lasagna noodle. (about three measured tablespoons)
- Beginning at one end roll lasagna noodle up, place seam-side down in a baking dish that has been lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Continue for all noodles.
Directions for preparing the sauce:
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat
- Add shallots and sage and sauté 6-8 minutes or until shallots are golden brown.
- Add vegetable stock and deglaze pan, scraping up any toasty shallot bits.
- Mix in ½ cup reserved squash.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cream and grated Parmesan.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon sauce over each roll-up. (Set remaining sauce aside for serving,—keep warm or microwave covered on low power before serving.)
- Bake roll up uncovered for about 20 minutes or until tops of roll-ups are golden.
- Serve topped with additional sauce and grated Parmesan.
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics