Nothing’s more delicious than a well roasted sweet potato! And people who say they don’t like beets are often people who’ve never tasted a beet! Try this easy, hearty recipe with your family and let us know how it goes!
6 medium beets, peeled and cut into chunks
2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon brown sugar
a pinch of cayenne pepper
3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1 large sweet onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss the beets with ½ tablespoon of the olive oil to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake beets for fifteen minutes.
- While the beets are cooking, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, brown sugar and cayenne pepper in another bowl.
- Add the sweet potatoes and onion to the mixture and mix well until everything is combined and the potatoes are well coated.
- After baking the beets for fifteen minutes, remove beets from oven and mix sweet potato mixture with the beets on the baking sheet.
- Return pan to the oven and continue baking about 45 minutes, stirring the vegetables after 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven when all vegetables are tender.
- Serve warm.
- Serves 6
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics