Yes, we’re pretty much all about vegetables here at Garden Candy but we’re always on the look out for meat side dishes that pair well with them. This chicken recipe is perfect!
Facing a busy summer-packed week? Do what we do: share some Sunday night grill space to cook up a big package of chicken drumsticks. Having them in the house means never being short of possibilities for easy, quick and inexpensive meals.
I experimented a bit with the seasoning with this batch and came up with what we agree is the perfect blend for tasty, juicy chicken. Really, these are the new house favorites!
Throw some of your favorite grillable vegetables on the heat for some of the time, and voila! Dinner is served. Plus, (we love cooking that serves double duty) you can take any leftovers, cut the meat off the bone and toss it into your favorite sandwich, salad or on a pizza for a satisfying lunch.
The Best Chicken to Come Off the Grill
- 4 lbs of chicken drumsticks (about 14 pieces.)
- 1 generous tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper, to your taste
- 2 teaspoons Ancho chili pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place all ingredients into a plastic bag, or other plasticware container with a tightly fitting lid.
- Shake to mix together.
- Pat chicken legs dry for a crisper skin.
- Place 3-4 pieces of chicken into your chosen container, seal, and shake until the chicken is coated. Remove from bag/bowl and set aside. Repeat for all remaining chicken pieces.
- Place chicken on the grill.
- Turn each piece every 5-7 minutes and grill, covered, for about 30-35 minutes total.
- Remove from heat, serve with your favorite grilled vegetables.
Co-Author of Garden Candy Basics